Recognized as leaders in IT law by both our clients and our peers, we have many years’ experience in the sector and are known for our smart, original solutions.
We have wide-ranging expertise in several of the key issues and developments that are shaping today’s tech industry: Big Data; FinTech and mobile payments and apps; Robotics, AI, Blockchain and cryptocurrency; cloud services; cyber and IT security; the internet of things; software as a service; 3D printing and so on.
- Chambers & Partners legal directory: Javier Fernández-Samaniego is ranked as Star Individual in TMT: IT (Europe Guide - Spain, 2020) and Band 1 for TMT: Information Technology (Europe guide – Spain, 2019 and previous decade).
- Leaders League: Samaniego Law is ranked among the Excellent firms in "IT & Data Protection - Ranking 2019 - Law firm - Spain" guide.
- Javier F. Samaniego is winner of Client Choice Awards of 2019 (IT and Internet Law), 2015, 2013, 2011 and 2010 editions.
- Best Lawyers legal directory names Javier F. Samaniego as the Best Lawyer in Spain for Technology Law (2017), Privacy & Data Protection Law (2019, 2016 and 2014), Information Technology (2015). Besides the directory recognizes our lawyers in several categories: Javier F. Samaniego - Information Technology Law, Technology Law, Communications Law, Outsourcing, Intellectual Property Law, Privacy & Data Protection Law and Blas Piñar - in Information Technology Law.
- Legal directory Who´s Who Legal lists Samaniego in its category Data: IT.
We have developed a very strong commercial and dispute resolution practice for IT Projects over the years, assisting both providers (typically IT Consultants) and customers, and we have unique expertise in providing an end-to-end service for ERP implementation, BPOs, outsourcing, cloud, SaaS, big data and "broken projects" in general.
As with long-term construction and government services contracts, IT projects are inherently complex:
- they involve many people with different backgrounds;
- different phases of the project take months or years, so circumstances and people may change;
- IT people use a very different "jargon" so there are inevitably "lost in translation" and miscommunication issues. The same contract can frequently be interpreted in opposite ways by the parties
In contrast to construction projects, the "evidence" is often intangible and volatile, so disputes in this area require a different strategy regarding evidence.
We focus on 3 main areas:
- up-front project planning, risk-assessment, contract design and procurement:
- in-life operational contract management1; and
- resolving issues and disputes around troubled projects that almost inevitably give rise to grave reputational and share price impacting events
To provide these services we understand that it is essential that our transformational projects lawyers create multidisciplinary teams which, depending on the circumstances, will include technologists, IT consultants, finance experts, IT forensics experts, etc.
Over the years we have created a trusted network of business partners to complement our team, and we are continuously updating and enriching our network of specialists to provide our clients with the state-of-the-art teams needed to achieve their business objectives.1 Virtual Secondment (VS), implemented in Madrid, is one of the ways of straightening out and softening these vital links between the law firm and the client. Such secondment can fill in the gap where it doesn't make sense to make a permanent appointment and there is no need to have a lawyer physically at the client’s premises
Technology Law and Transformational Projects
Providing legal support to UnitedLex (SAMANIEGO’s IT partner and global provider of technology-powered business, legal and cybersecurity solutions) in certain European legal aspects of its deal to lead a global law function transformation of DXC Technology (NYSE: DXC), a leading IT services and solutions provider. Under the five-year agreement UnitedLex will help create one unified strategic team to support DXC and its nearly 6,000 clients.